Shipping car(s) to Europe?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Shipping car(s) to Europe?
From: Michael Noerregaard <ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 12:26:30 -0500
I will be done my studies here in TX by mid-December, and I am looking for a
way to ship my GT6 Mk.3 with me home (home is Denmark).  As far as I can
tell there are generally two ways to do this:
1) Ro-ro (spelling?) - where the car is driven on board a tanker, supposedly
parked about 3 inches apart, and left there until it reaches Europe - but I
have heard that damage is likely....
2) Container - getting my own little personal 20 foot container, in which I
can also put a bunch of spare parts (almost a full spare parts car), along
with my personal belongings (books, bookshelves, chair, etc.) - but the
prices I have heard on this seems to max out around $3700 (incl. clearing
customs, deliviring the container in Austin, picking it up a few days later,
and delivering at my parents house in Denmark - so FULL service)

Anybody has experience with this type of shipping? Would really appreciate
any insights since this is my first (and perhaps only) only time ;-)

Thanks,

Michael

GT6 Mk. 2 1969 (Red w/1972 GT6 engine - and black targa-top)
GT6 Mk. 3 1971 (White - w/TR250 engine)
....not responsible for any of these changes...
....the DPO did it....hmmmm.....