Re: Pinking Spitfire<2781A841BC@novell2.bham.ac.uk>

To: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Pinking Spitfire<2781A841BC@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 09:56:48 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
 >> my 1500 is pinking under medium load (away from junctions and up hills etc.

[snip, Other English Spit prob's]

>marks on pulley are meaningless.  My Spit. is in the latter condition
>so I set up the timing so that it just doesn't pink in 4th gear at
>low speed up a steep hill. Seems to work fine.

I have a, well it's more of a concern than a problem. My 73 MkIV Pops and bangs
really loudly when I shut off the throttle and the engine is doing alot of the
braking, ie going down a steep hill in a low gear with my foot of the
pedal(gas).....Could this be valve timing incorrect, allowing unburnt fuel to
be sucked out through the valves when it shouldn't be, or am I
paranoid/clutching at straws/etc.....

ps. it does sound quite good, but I am a bit concerned it might be knackering
something up!!!!

Any thoughts

Rich