Re: Clutch <320A83BE.AC0@mail.concentric.net>

To: Sholtes IV <joeiv@cris.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch <320A83BE.AC0@mail.concentric.net>
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 09:47:51 -0400
Cc: kevin andrews <kevina@wolverine.emji.net>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sholtes IV wrote:

>     Many people have used rebuilt clutches without any problems but
> I don't think I'd risk it again, especialy on a Triumph where you
> must remove the entire interior to pull the tranny out.

I agree 100% with not using a rebuilt clutch.  For the time and
effort involved with changing a clutch, I think it is worth it
to spend the extra $ and put in a new unit the first time.  There
is nothing more discouraging than having to repeat a repair soon
after the first attempt.  (Although it generally goes much more
smoothly the second time! :-) :-))

On a related note, however, I always viewed being able to get the
tranny out from the interior to be an *advantage*.  On many other
cars, one needs to pull the engine/tranny combination in order to
change the clutch!  (By the way, if one has a pristine interior
but an unrestored engine bay, the TR clutches can be changed by
pulling the engine/tranny combination instead... :-) :-))

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631