Re: Triumph gearboxes

To: "Andrew Linkens" <alinkens@pcsi.cirrus.com>, "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Triumph gearboxes
From: John Matthews <matthews@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 96 11:07:51 -0800
Andy,

>I've got two Triumphs - a 1969 2-litre 'Herald'

A "2 litre Herald"??????
Tell us more!!!
What is it? A Vitesse??

>Also the 'Herald'  is now jumping out of reverse every time I try and engage

I would expect gearbox problems with the added power from a 2 litre
engine. The gearbox isn't that hard to pull from inside the car. Once
it's out though it's hard to say if you should rebuild it yourself, have
a shop do it, or buy one from a wrecker (probally the most cost
effective). I had mine rebuilt professionally, but since joining the list
I would probally try to do the work myself next time. Check the archives!!

>A few years ago I hand-painted the 'Herald' - sounds horrible

Yes, it does!!! I suspect it will be hard to remove brush marks without
sanding almost
to bare metal. Also don't know how well current paint will act as a
primer. I'm in the process of doing the body work and paint on my 1.3
Litre Herald now, but I have a good
friend who works at a body shop.

Good Luck,

John Matthews