RE: Installing Windscreen

To: "'John T. Blair'" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: RE: Installing Windscreen
From: Chris and Karen Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 17:51:24 -0700
Cc: "'British Car List'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>, "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

----------
From:   John T. Blair[SMTP:jblair@exis.net]
Sent:   Tuesday, August 06, 1996 2:57 PM
To:     Alex Levinson; british-cars@autox.team.net

At 08:20 AM 8/6/96 -0400, Alex Levinson wrote:
>Folks,
>
> I need to replace the glass in my '60 Bugeye.  I remember reading
> about a rope trick that supposedly eases the job of fitting the new
> glass and gasket into the frame.  Does it ring a bell?  Is it a hard
> job?

So we are now ready to re-install the windshield.  First, work the
outter lip of the "S" over the windshield.  Now take some fine rope,
no, not the 3" stuff, something about 1/8" in dia. and lay it around
the inner portion of the "S" starting at the top and having both end
cross in the middle at the bottom.  Lay the windshield up in place,
and slowly pull the rope.  This will pull the rubber gasket in over
the frame lip and allow the gasket to seat.

AAAHHH, just one addition to an otherwise fine description of the process:

Rope should be pulled from the INSIDE of the vehicle.  If possible having
someone
on the outside applying GENTLE pressure along the gasket at the points rope is
being pulled.
Start at bottom, working from one side to the other, then up, across, and back
down to original corner.  Really is quite easy after the first time!!

Chris "damn, hand me the silicone honey" Prugh