Re: TR3 - starter motor trouble

To: Anders Odgaard <anders@ull.biomeklab.aau.dk>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 - starter motor trouble
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 96 07:18:10 EDT
On Aug 6,  4:14am, Anders Odgaard wrote:
> The starter motor on my 1956 TR3 has failed. When pushing the
> starter button, the motor runs willingly, but it doesn't turn
> the engine.

In that case the motor has NOT failed, only the starter drive
is not working.  If you pull the starter out (two bolts and
one wire), you'll see a big gear and spring assembly on the
end.  This assembly is not engaging the ring gear on the
flywheel.

> What is the likely cause of this?

See above.  Its probably due to grease getting on the shaft
and causing it to stick.

> Is reconditioning a starter motor for the average DIY person?

Generally, a good cleaning and maybe a little lube with a *DRY*
graphite based lube will do the trick.  So, yes, you can
probably do it yourself.  If its more than that, you'll need
to pull it out so as to send it off anyway.

> If not, does anyone know a good source for reconditioned
> /NOS starter motors in Europe?

Nope, sorry.  If you don't mind it not looking like the original
one, Winner's Circle in Ohio, USA sells a really nice gear drive
motor for TR2/3/4 for about $250 that works a lot better.  If
you want a Lucas starter, any of the normal vendors will
probably have them.

> What should I expect to pay?

I think the last Lucas starter I bought was about $150 US.

later,

John Lye

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU