More on dash re-veneering

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: More on dash re-veneering
From: mdalmaij@compusmart.ab.ca (Mark and Judy Dalmaijer)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 15:28:15 GMT
Cc: gbush@connect.ab.ca
Hello again Group,

Thanks to the many of you who responded to my questions regarding
re-finishing dashboards. Both my dash and my brother-in laws dashboards are
in reasonably good shape but the old veneer is cracking or peeling off. In
my case the DPO had "slapped" on 3 pieces of veneer (and they do not even
match very well) which are curling badly. From what I have learned from all
of you I should be able to re-veneer myself. Two questions if I may:

1. How do I get the old veneer off (the stuff that is actually sticking)?

2. When I apply new veneer how do I treat the edges? Do I "bend" it around?
Do I keep it perfectly flat and sand the edges smooth?

Thanks again for the invaluable advise!

Mark and Grant