Re: increasing Front sway bar size

To: Michael Noerregaard <ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: increasing Front sway bar size
From: shammy@inmind.com (Christian Simonsen)
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 12:40:17 GMT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
My entire collected knowlege on sway bars, unfortunately most of it learned
through experimentation, and hard knocks.

Bigger sway bars will mean a stiffer ride. Go too large and the sway bar
will not flex when you want it to and it will effectively negate your
suspension.

Bigger sway bars need more force to flex them, i.e. improved traction,
through tires, etc.

With added traction and faster turns you want to keep your sway bar active
through the turn, the lighter ones may flex out too easily.

If you are on stock size tires and wheels, I wouldn't go overboard on increasing
the size of the sway bar, handling could get worse.

When making improvements, make sure that the sway bar cannot jam the
suspension. It's bad to go around a curve  have your suspension in mid
travel, mid motion, hit a hardstop, i.e. frame, mount, and the subsequent
jar cause the rear or front end to slide immediately. I sat on a garbage bag
on the way home after doing that.

I'm sure that others have better ways of evaluating suspension without
pushing the car to absolute max. I use tape and silly putty........

Which probably explains the garbage bag.

Christian Simonsen
Virginia, USA
shammy@inmind.com

1954 TR2 TS1675  long door waiting for attention

1963? TR4 CT 24093 LO runs like a champ most days

Homebrewer extraordinaire (in one of my wildest dreams anyway)