Re: TR3 frost plug.

To: Angelo Graham <a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: TR3 frost plug.
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 22:36:56 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Angelo Graham wrote:

> Has anyone had experience with trying to remove and replace the frost plug
> in the rear of the head in a TR3?  The plug in my car has sprung a leak and

Angelo, it's job which can be done in the car, but with great difficulty
and a real chance of boogering it up.  If you don't want to remove the
head for fear of disturbing the spectacle gaskets, then go ahead and pull
the engine.  It would probably be less headaches in the long run.  The
freeze plugs are meant to be driven into place after thoroughly cleaning
the recess and applying plenty of sealer.  The plugs have a very slight
taper to the plug wall, so that it's compressed slightly when it's in
place. That's why it really has to be driven in with a hammer and
appropriate driver.  And you're going to be hard-pressed to get it right
in the space you describe.

> I would like to replace the plug with one of the aftermarket type with an
> expanding rubber fitting.

This type of plug isn't really an "aftermarket" item.  It's for
emergencies, and isn't meant to be a permanent replacement.  They don't
last long, and are really meant to keep you going just long enough for
you to arrange for a proper repair.
Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....