Re: Bleeding Mystery

To: 100304.2046@CompuServe.COM
Subject: Re: Bleeding Mystery
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Wed, 29 May 96 13:20:26 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Question of the day is from France about bleeding brake's circuit on Spitfires.
>Have you ever had a look *inside* a rear wheel cylinder ? Because it's the
>place
>where begin the mystery : the small hole for the bleeding screw is not at the
>top of the cylinder, as always seen in every other cars, but, more or less, in
>the *middle* of the cylinder ! Is there someone who can explain to me how we
>can
>push the air out in these conditions ? After bleeding half of the cylinder,
>brake fluid will go out without air, but the upper half of the cylinder
>(assuming air is lighter than brake fluid..) will be full of air ??!!??
>
>Francois Demont 100304.2046@compuserve.com
>1968 Spitfire MK 3, every day car
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/spitfire

Francois,
 The theory is that the airr will be compressed along with the brake
fluid and flow out when the valve is opened.
 The key here is to apply even, steady pressure and open the valve in a
quick 1/4 turn and close quickly.
 Again, the thoery is that the compressed fuid and air will escape
rapidly while closing the valve quickly will prevent a minute amount of
air returning to the cylinder.
 Sounds hokey I know, but it's seemed to work since the introduction of
hydraulic on American autos around 1938.
Regards,
Tony
###