Re: TR4 - Overdrive questions (Warning - LONG reply)

To: Searle@hboi.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 - Overdrive questions (Warning - LONG reply)
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 10:01:18 -0400

>I'm probably wrong but I believe there were slight differences in the A-type

>O/D fitted to TR4s and those fitted to TR4A onwards.  Something to do with a

>gentler engagement for the IRS cars?

Well, I rebuilt the OD in my '71 TR-6 (bought December of 1970).  The OD
self-destructed in 1971, at maybe 20,000 miles. I bought a '64 TR-4
transmission/OD for parts.  The only difference I discerned between the two
OD assemblies was that the mainshaft front spigot, which goes into a pilot
roller bearing on the back or the input shaft, was smaller on the later
(TR-6) model.

Not wanting to mix gears on the relatively new -6, (and in fact I didn't
disassemble the trans at that time), I needed to modify the input shaft to
fit into the TR-6 trans.  Nothing to lose, I chucked it in a lathe, trued it
up, and turned the area down and polished it.  There was a noticeable pattern
to the surface when I was done, because I had apparently cut through the
outer case-hardened area and into somewhat softer steel.  I worried about how
long the repair would last, even though it's a roller contact and not a plain
bearing.  Then I examined the original part, and saw the same exact pattern!
 Hardness "felt" similar with a file.  Since then, I always wondered if
Triumph (or Laycock, or whoever actually made the part) hadn't done just what
I did to convert some older parts for production.

The modified part worked fine, as did the entire OD unit, and still worked
fine when I sold the car at 36,000 miles.

BTW - Just a few weeks before the OD went out, I had the trans out to replace
what I thought was a weak pressure plate (Laycock diaphragm).  I had
experienced a slipping problem, particularly when starting off from cold in
the morning.  I put in a Borg & Beck pressure plate & disk, and was REALLY
disappointed when I put everything back together and the slipping was still
there.  I re-checked hydraulics, etc., and everything was OK with the clutch.
 I kept driving the car daily, and was just beginning to suspect some
slippage in the OD when it blew up.

Moral ?? If you think it's a slipping clutch, don't forget to check the OD
too !!

>Anyway, I have found slight use of the clutch to be useful.  Mine comes in
>with a real jolt, but that could be expected as the whole drivetrain is
>original and 33 years old.  With practice just a very slight pressure on the

>clutch pedal as you flick the switch is enough to give silky smooth changes
>as you roar away from the stoplight.

A properly-operating OD, even an older model, won't really lurch when
engaging/disengaging, but you should lift your foot off the gas to ease the
shift -- declutching doesn't hurt, and will likely lengthen the OD's life
somewhat, but shouldn't be necessary.  The OD operates by engaging
organic-faced cone clutches riding in the oil along with the gears.  The
Healeys have a switch system to ensure you don't engage/disengage under heavy
throttle, but on my Healey 100-6 racecar I just wired direct to the switch
and was usually careful.  Worked fine, never slipped or blew up.  I used to
run 50W Valvoline racing oil plus STP in the Healey's trans/OD, on the advice
of other racers.  Never seemed right, (no EP additives) but it didn't cause
any problems in my years with the car.

Good luck
-Karl