re: TR4 - originally a exported to germany?

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"@tin
Subject: re: TR4 - originally a exported to germany?
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 10:38:47 -0500

>     At the TRF Summer party, I was accosted by some snotty folks talking
>     down about how non-orignal and non-stock my car was.

Their cars probably had mile-deep custom paint jobs which were even MORE
non-stock. Jerks.

>     It has a locking steering wheel column and a Becker AM radio(installed
>     in a black vinyl covered mount). There is an ugly cigarette lighter on
>     the fascia panel where the ignition switch is suppossed to be. The
>     ignition switch is on the column, under the dash and has german words
>     on it (fahrt, halt, etc., The fifth grade bathroom talk part of me
>     likes the fahrt one, I just don't know what it means)

I used to giggle at "Fahrts" in Germany and I think it's "Farts" in Holland.
"Fahrt" means "Drive" and I'll bet you can guess on "Halt".

>     A neat older gent, thought maybe a serviceman brought the "beastie"
>     (thats what he called it) back from Germany. Cars needed to have
>     locking steering wheels to be acceptable for import there. I like the
>     locking column, with the exception of the cigarette lighter (the knob
>     just doesn't match the others).

Hey, if it's from Germany, it must be worth $18,000 (non-negotiable). Just
ask TRF!!!!

Enjoy the car. Don't worry about those other folks.

>Christian Simonsen - Virginia, USA
>
>54 TR2 long door
>
>63 Triumph TR4

Larry