TR7 door locks

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 door locks
From: Jason Clark <gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 21:22:16 -0500 (CDT)
My TR7's driver's side door is stuck about 1/3 of the door width
open.  It will neither open nor completely close.  It locks and unlocks
ok as far as I can tell by watching it from the inside (and playing with the
mechanism with a screwdriver.)  I've removed the passenger side lock for
comparison, and it seems that the part of the clasp that moves is stuck
in a partially-closed position that jams the lock, and requires moving
parts of the lock that can't be reached while the lock is on the door.  I
have, therefore, two questions:

1.)  Am I missing something?  Is there an easy way to get the door
unstuck that I am blind to?  (Brute force hasn't worked)

2.)  If not, how do I get to the lock?  Can I get to the striker from the
inside (via the wheel well/removing the quarter panel (ugh)/from the
passenger compartment/through the well for the top?)  Do I have to remove
the door from the hinges and use Mr Hacksaw?  What?  What?  What?

Tired of playing 'Dukes of Hazard' when the top's up,

jason
1980 TR7 convertible

*   Jason Clark                                                           *
*   gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu / jclark@college.antioch.edu                  *
*   DOROTHY:  You're a very bad man!                                      *
*   WIZARD:   Oh, no, my dear!  I'm a very good man.                      *
*             I'm just a very bad wizard.                                 *
*   _The Wizard of Oz_                                                    *