Rust Protection products

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rust Protection products
From: TLEAKE@novell.com (Tom Leake)
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 17:01:48 -0600
I heve been conducting an informal survey of anti corrosion products
here is what I have found so far.
I would be happy to see any additions or corrections (I have already
made a few myself)

There are basically three classes of product
Conversion coatings.
   These are intended to convert existing rust to a stable coating
   that prevents further water from reaching the raw metal. Ex.  Extend
Paint over Rust Paints.
    These are paints that chemically bond to the suface rust.  Ex. POR 15
Penetrating oils.
   These are heavy oils which chemically dissolve the rust and are and
   prevenet water from reaching the raw metal.  EX Waxoyl,

Here is what I know about these types of products

conversion coatings (extend)
EXTEND
I believe there may are many products sold with the extend title
One is by Loctite  I just found it last night in the newly arrived
 Pegasus Racing catalog.  It an industrial type product that is  supposed
 to protect for 5 years in most environments with 2-3 coats, and is
 supposed to have even better longevity when used with a topcoat.
 About $22/Qt from Pegasus  800-688-6946

I understand also that DURO and Rustoleum sell  products called Extend.
I don't know  I am suprized that with all these product with the same
name there is not more controversy over the product name
I don't have any information as to longevity, but I have heard that these
are good (not great products).

CORROLESS
I believe Corroless is this type of product it is available from Eastwood,
Sorry no number

CORROSEAL
A very expensive industrial product information on the web at
See  http://www.accessone.com/corroinc/

NEUTRA RUST 661
There is also a product called Neutra rust 661 which is available in QT at
 about 40/qt.   See on the web at
http://www.simms.net.organizations/carolina-equipment/carolina-equipment.html
Available from Carolina equipment and supply 1-800-394-4987
This has been tested by BRITISH Defense in a 500 hour salt spray with
no rust and is non toxic

Rust Mort (available at body shops ) is this type of prduct but,  I don't
think it works as well as the others

I really would like to see more test data on  all the above products,
Neutra Rust is the only one I have seen to publich a spec

Paints  POR 15
I asked everyone on british cars and triumphs if they could find the
summary of the Skinned Knuckles article that outlined rust testing.
POR-15 and Bill Hirsch's Miracle paint tied for the best protection (if
memory serves me well).

POR comes highly recommended from IPD which is a Volvo shop in
Portland,  The deal with some rust there, but the roads are never salted!

 POR 15 is available from
Restomotive Labs 800-457-6715  and some resellers
Bill Hirsch is 800-828-2061

Oils (Waxoyl)
Waxoyl is an old stanby product,  I believe Moss still sells it.

 Another product I just found out about can be seen at
http://www.techline.com/~palfac/
This product seems to be along the lines of Waxoyl. It is a rust killing and
preventing oil that forms a varnish like coating.  Intend for use in
undercarraige type applications.

Tom Leaket(tleake@novell.com)
65 TR4a IRS (not rust free yet but close)  My memory is quite rusty
though
Opinions expressed do not reflect those of my employer