Re: Spitfire 1500 trailer hitch

To: John Welch <squelch@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 trailer hitch
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 10:16:32 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 15 May 1996, John Welch wrote:

> This is an odd one.  I am interested in towing my jet-ski with my '78
> Spitfire.
> The Ski on the trailer weighs in at 450 lbs.
> Acording to the factory manual the car is rated for 1000 lbs towing
> capacity.
> My problem is NO ONE makes a hitch for a Spitfire. Most shops that I
> talk to think I'm nuts. ( I'm sure everyone else does now also )
>
> So.... has anyone out there put a hitch on a Spitfire... and if so..
> any recomendations as to mounting ?

Doesn't seem odd to me. After all, there was a "towbar" kit for the
Heralds that was listed as a factory accessory.

With the rear frame extensions of the 1974 and later Spitfires, all the
reinforcement one needs is right there. I should think a competent
welder in a competent trailer shop could easily fabricate something with
brackets that could bolt in using existing bumper mounts or just an
extra hole or two in the rear frame extensions.

Way back when my dad's Herald 1200 was running on three cylinders (I'm
talking circa 1969-70 here), it nonetheless was called upon several
times to tow my Herald 948, first 20 miles home from the dealer where
I'd bought it, then a couple times later as well -- and that with just a
rope. If a three-cylinder Herald can tow its own weight, I'm sure a
Spitfire can tow a jet-ski!

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *