Spitfire MkIV Trunnions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire MkIV Trunnions
From: "Jonathan Smith DD-SP" <jsmith@madge.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 96 10:19:57 +0100
My MkIV Spitfire has just failed the MOT test because of excess play in both
front trunnions, so last night I got out my biggest and heaviest levering
device to see where the slack might be. The bush kits seem to address wear in
the joint between the wishbone and the trunnion, but I couldn't get that to
move. However, I did find that if I had the wheels on the lock that unwound
the stub axle carrier out of the trunnion the most, I could get quite a bit
of movement in the joint between the trunnion and the stub axle carrier, but
not when the wheels were straight or on the opposite lock.

I thought I'd check that the stub axle carriers weren't out by one thread,
but when I had everything apart, they were wound right up.

It failed the MOT test three years ago (2000 miles ago) because of excess
play in the nearside trunnion. At the time I knew even less about cars than I
do now, so I had a garage fix that side. When I had them in my hand last
night I could see that the side I'd had fixed had new bushes between the
wishbone and trunnion. The bushes on the other side looked very sad, so I'll
definately re-bush that side.

So, my questions are: is this sloppy-ness on one lock normal or do I need new
trunnions? will re-bushing both sides really help?

thanks very much,
Jon