Re: TRF Bashing

To: duhart@symbol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TRF Bashing
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 12:25:24 -0400
In a message dated 96-05-10 15:03:29 EDT, duhart@symbol.com (DUHART JOHN)
writes:

>       My one gripe was with the back order.  I placed the order on Feb 10.
>The following items
>are still to be delivered:
>
>       1) 7 conrod bolts (ordered 12 got 5)
>       2) 12 conrod dowels.
>       3) 2 emergency brack cables
>       4) 2 trailing arm cross members for the frames.
>       5) 1 lower and gasket set.
>
>       It is item #4 that has me the most worried.  When I placed the order I
>was told it would be backordered, and would take 2-4 weeks before they
>had a delivery.  At the end of April I gave a call and was told their
>suppliers workers were on strike, and they were waiting for a delivery
>from another supplier.

John

I ordered some trailing arm cross members and the cruciform plates last year.
 They told me they were on backorder and didn't know when they would be in.
 4 weeks later the cross members came in.  I called about the plates and was
told (see above).

A couple months went by and still no plates.  Thats when I heard about Rimmer
Brother's in England.  I called them for the plates and they said "We have
lots of them". So my question is why did Rimmers have "Lots of them" and TRF
was back ordered?  Has Rimmers cornered the market?  Does Rimmers refuse to
sell to TRF?  Does TRF refuse to buy from other suppliers to maintain their
stock?

I have worked in the retail sector before and I know how important it is to
maintain stock even if you must sell at a loss at times.  Perhaps it is
because Charles does carry a number of things that no other US supplier
carries that he can carry back orders without incurring the wrath of the
customers.  Or perhaps it is because there are only three major suppliers
(TRF, Vic Brit, Moss) in this country and what we have here is an oligopoly
simialr to GM, Ford, Chrysler of the 70's.  Perhaps a little more
international competition is called for here.

I guess the bottom line is that no one supplier really fills all of the needs
and a little shopping around is called for.  That's what I do.

Dave
TR6Massey@aol.com