Re: Rear Bearing seal, TR3

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, jmike@sky.net
Subject: Re: Rear Bearing seal, TR3
From: "Kurt Oblinger" <Kurt_Oblinger_at_AWP450@mail.hq.faa.gov>
Date: Fri, 10 May 96 09:33:31 EST
>I understand that there is a rear seal conversion kit available that is
>supposed to lessen the leaking that is such a feature of our "darlings"
>Anybody know anything about  these?

The seal kit replaces the scroll seal on the Vanguard type engine (TR2, 3, 3A &
B, TR4). The seal retainer bolts in place of the alloy pieces of the outer
scroll. The scroll on the crank must bea machined off and that area turned down
to a specific dia. The seal used is a neoprene lip type seal.

The modification is irreversible but everyone I know who have installed it say
it does the job.

The kit is available from:

Ken Gillanders
British Frame & Engine
4831 N. Ryland Ave.
Temple City, Ca. 91780
(818) 443-0939

Ken has a wide variety of good pieces for the 4 and 6 cylinder TR's and is one
of the most knowledgeable people in the country. He's owned the same TR2 since
'55 and used to drag race it, regularly trouncing V8 machinery.

Cheers
Kurt Oblinger
Redondo Beach, Ca