Re: NOS?

To: mike@ShoppersDrugMart.ca
Subject: Re: NOS?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 10:20:59 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 6 May 1996 mike@ShoppersDrugMart.ca wrote:

> Now that this wonderful acronym has appeared it reminds me that I've always
> wondered what NOS means... anyone willing to explain?
>
> Mike.

_N_ew _O_ld _S_tock -- original replacement parts, manufactured when the
car they fit was in current production but not used, rather left
languishing on some dealer's or other vendor's shelves. Nice find when
no one currently manufactures said part, or manufactures something that
might differ in appearance, quality of materials used, fit or function from
the "original"; e.g., NOS steel front aprons for a TR3, or NOS Coffee
upholstery kits and matching material for, say, a 948TC Herald
Convertible. ;-)

For some folks (on occasion I fit this category), finding NOS Lucas
components such as voltage regulators, with a certain date code is a
godsend when attempting a 100% correct original restoration.

It's not always a prize find in itself, though. There's nothing wrong
with finding a 30-year-old NOS wheel cylinder, but I sure wouldn't use
it without replacing the seals with true "new" ones first.

--Andy "Love to find an NOS 948 TC Herald dashboard" Mace

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register
amace@unix2.nysed.gov