'74 Spit

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: '74 Spit
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com (Tom Omalley)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 23:26:00 -0640
>We all chuckle and share your feelings of joy/frustration/satisfaction.
>Isn't it amazing how great these cars are when they are right, but just
>MANY things DPO's and the factory put together wrong, or so close to
>wrong that it doesn't take much to have something go wrong.

     He he....it sure is Brian!  Funny thing...I can remember being
     vaguely aware of GT6's and Spits in the mid sixties, and I
     always thought them sharp little cars, what with the tilting
     bonnet and all...

     But even though I never had any first hand experience, I was
     given to believe that these were the single most unreliable
     cars ever produced in the western world. <g>  Not sure if
     I heard this, read this or how I knew it to be true.

     About a year ago I saw one in town.  It was moving under it's
     *own* power on a PUBLIC road.  I'm not joking when I say I
     was taken back.  It drove into a nearby gas station, and I
     pulled over to get a better look.  I remember thinking to myself
     that the owner must be in for his routine 10day\100mile
     overhaul. :-)   As I drove away, I remember thinking: " Gee,
     those really were sharp little cars...too bad they don't run."

     Six months later I found this list...and shortly after a Spit.
     <with the tilting bonnet and all :-)>  When I found out that
     Bob Sykes bought his '78 new, and still has it running, I
     figured there must be hope after all.  Doug Mitchell too!

     At 21 years of age and with plenty of DPO neglect, I can't
     expect _too_ much of the little beast until I have a chance
     to go through it throughly. But with less than a 6 mile daily
     commute, I can test the car's mettle under low-stress
     conditions for now.  Excepting the turns, of course...they're just
     too much fun!

Regards...Tom O'Malley