Engine dimensions, Spitfire

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"@tin
Subject: Engine dimensions, Spitfire
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 11:54:00 -0500
I confess, I'm new at this stuff. I believe the ring on piston #3 on my
Spit Mk3 broke, since compression is good on the other cylinders, and all
of a sudden I started getting lots of blowby. I redid the head, but
it didn't help (try easy stuff first - rarely works, though).

So tomorrow I'm removing the pistons to determine the condition of the
rings. I assume the bores are OK since this engine ran great up until then,
using little oil. I'm hoping I can use a ridge cutter (there is a slight
ridge) and a hone, then put new rings on the pistons and put them back
in.

My question is this - how do I know if the pistons are STD or not, and
how do I determine of the big end bearings are STD or not? I DO have the
bore dimensions from the VB catalog, but they don't list the crank
diameters. Would that by in my Haynes manual?

So, do I mic the crank and get its diameter and compare that to the book?
Same for the bore?

I'd like to get this going ASAP, since the engine in my GT6+ seems to be
dying again with no compression in #6 (third time in 2 years). I'm going
to buy a used engine for the GT6 and rebuild it from the ground up, then
swap it with the one in the car. Then I'll rebuild the old one and keep it
as a hot spare.

So I need help on how to measure and size new components. Help!

Thanks!

Larry
lesnyd@monsanto.com