Body repair question for those who've done it...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Body repair question for those who've done it...
From: Jacob ben-David Zimmerman <zimerman@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 00:28:34 EDT
Okay.  I've been over the body of my 6, and other than what thankfully appears
to be surface rust on the frame, it's in good shape *except* for floor pans and
firewall (bulkhead.) The floor pans are still solid; I think I can save them
by stripping/sanding/painting.  The firewall, however, suffers from battery
acid dissolution...I had to have a piece of metal welded in under the battery
when I first worked on the car.  At some point in the future, I will *have* to
take out the dash and instruments, and probably the engine as well.  My ques-
tion: can I replace the firewall without removing the entire body? Or do I
have to get it off the frame to cut/weld in the new piece?

-Thanks, all.
-JB