Re: Trans compatiblity question

To: BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, lotus-cars@netcom.com, SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Subject: Re: Trans compatiblity question
From: oconnor%gecko@aec.aeg.kn.DaimlerBenz.com
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 08:56:27 +0100
Brian asked:

> I have a Pinto 1600 (Cortina) motor in my 63 Consul Capri.  It is running
> with the Pinto 4 speed (Ford's british made 4 speed).  What 5 speeds or OD
> trans will fit?  Ford made a 4+OD  that appeared in some Mustang II's.  But
> that went behind the German OHC or V6 motors.

AFAIK, Ford never fitted a 5 speed transmission to that block for production
use. However:

Throughout the 1970's, various competition Escorts were fitted with 5
speed boxes. These were not fitted to the cars on sale to the public.
These would have specials from ZF or Getrag. The cars used the Cosworth
BD series of engines and I think that these boxes will fit your block. I
don't know if you will have trouble with the clutch/flywheel. They are
not cheap though.

The 5 speed box in the Elan +2 _may_ fit. As above, the bell housing should
bolt on to your block but the cautions above apply.

        John