Re[2]: GT6 gearing question

To: bruceh@cellerity.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Subject: Re[2]: GT6 gearing question
From: "jpratchi" <jpratchi@isdlink1.ess.harris.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 95 09:59:47 est
Chris wrote:
>It's entirely possible that the gearboxes will bolt up to either bell
>housing; I've never tried that. I *believe* that the input shafts have a
>different number of splines.

   The early Spitfires used 10 Spline input shafts to the three rail
transmissions fitted through 1974.  In 1975 and beyond the single rail
transmission was fitted which has a 20 spline input shaft.  The transmissions
have identical bolt patterns to the bell housing between Spits, GT6's and
other Triumph transmissions (I do not know the exact details beyond
Spits/GT6's).  A change of clutch disk will permit the use of a transmission
with the "wrong" number of splines.  Very early Spitfires had a smaller
diameter clutch disk and a very different pressure plate arrangement, but I
believe the Mark IV and 1500s have the same fly wheel/pressure plate
arrangement.

   regards,  John Pratchios