Re: siezed brake m/c

To: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Subject: Re: siezed brake m/c
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 13:15:31 BST
Cc: TRIUMPHS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Dan

> I just now went the other route, I ordered a new brake m/c from
> John Kipping.  Now I'm trying to figure out why it has a 90-degree
> reservoir.  Is there an availability problem with original non-
> tandem Herald/Vitesse/Spitfire master cylinders?

I checked this with John this very morning when placing an order for some other
bits.  Basically, you can't get
original cylinders.  These were of the type with a small capacity reservoir
with an extra plastic section on top
which increased the capacity to suit disc brake calipers.  These were a bit of
a bodge and had a habit of leaking
at the joint.  They were superceded by a succession of plastic reservoir
cylinders, the latest of which was for the
Toledo, I believe.  This was partly forced upon the suppliers because certain
markets would not accept the
original type anyway (France in particular) since they wanted the fluid to be
clearly seen without having to
remove the cap.

It makes no functional difference that the reservoir is not vertical, you just
need to be sure that you've got plenty
of fluid and that the cylinder has a 5/8" bore.

Phil
TSSC Herald 13/60 Secretary

From:   Phil Willson
        Electronic Engineering