Re: '72 TR6 seat wires? <95Aug27.172451pdt.34952@reynaldo.pa

To: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Subject: Re: '72 TR6 seat wires? <95Aug27.172451pdt.34952@reynaldo.parc.xerox.com>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 09:52:42 PDT
Cc: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>Berry Kercheval said:
 > Anyone know a source for the seat wires on a 70-72 TR-6 seat?

Well, TRF, Moss and VB came up blank and I was unwilling to wait for
cross-atlantic parts, and used ones would likely have had the same problem my
old ones did.  I'm feeling the countdown to the Palo Alto Britcar day and the
DBTBCD drive in the hills.

So, last night I took the old wires, the seat frame and a six of ESB over to
the Dimebank Garage where the proprieter, Chris Kantarjiev, and I made new
seat wires out of 1/8 water-hardened drill rod.  $6 and a couple beers later
and I had a good seat frame.

Well, almost.  I wanted to get the seat back adjustment working.  It turns out
that the bottom and back of the seat frame are linked by a rod that runs
across the back, operates the angle-adjustment latch and serves as the bearing
surface.  All at once.

At each end are flanged bushings (I'm sure the Brits have a quaint name for
them, but 'elifino) that should slide into the holes in the seat back and seat
bottom.  ON one side the toothed washer had broken and allowed the bushing to
slide out and the seat parts came out of alignment and the seat back angle
latch would no longer unlatch.  Yep, I was stuck in the "Seat back fully
upright and locked" position.

I had already removed the torsion spring that makes the back spring up, and
Chris removed the springs that made the latching dog latch, and we manoeuvred
the bushing into position, almost.  Surprise!  There are tabs on the seat
bottom hole that slot into notches in the end of the bushing!  Argh.

So, to build this, they had to put the toothed washers on, slide on the
bushings, SOMEHOW get it into the seat, weld the ends on and then push the
bushings and the toothed washers up to make it all work.  Ick.  You can't
disassemble it easily because it's all welded together.  It must have saved
Lord 2/6 a seat, I guess.  Argh.

Anyway, we slipped a hose clamp onto the rod to replace the broken toothed
washer, and the seat adjusts nicely now.

Next comes the naval-jelly-and-rustoleum treatment, and this weekend I'll put
the upholstery on and DRIVE HER!! Yeah!

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center