Re: Wire Wheels

To: adams@civ.utoronto.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels
From: TechTeach@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 21:49:59 -0400
In the early 70's I drove '60 TR3A that I had converted to wires from disc
wheels. I added the splined adaptors, proper nuts, and sawed off the excess
from the studs.
>From my experience, I would suggest the use of Locktite on the studs. I had
several nuts work loose on a front wheel adaptor during a weekly 240 mile
drive home from summer graduate courses.

The loosened studs elongated the holes in the hub and prevented me from
tightening the nuts. I had to buy a pair a ViseGrip pliers from a mechanic at
service station and stop every 20-30 minutes, jack up the front, take off the
knock off and wheel, grab what I could of the base of the studs with the VGs,
and tighten the nuts with the lug wrench, put the wheel back on, lower the
jack and be off again. The last 120 miles of my journey were spent repeating
this. I felt that I was ready to join a pit crew by the time I finally got
home :{)}

Memories...but they sure looked good!

BTW...I paid $100 back then for five decent wheels, four adaptors & knock
offs, and the lug nuts.

Rich Leopold
'75 TR6