Re: radio for TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: radio for TR6
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 95 14:37:18 EDT
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]
Bill wrote:

> I recently decided to put the original radio back in -
> ... with the
> volume any more than half-way up ... it sounds like @#$%.
> ... a very good set of 4" speakers
> that are rated to handle 50+ watts
> Has anyone had any experience with running OE radios
> through the separate power amp that are now available for
> autos?

I think the "problem" is that the aftermarket exhaust and
top-down condition just push harder at the weakest link in
the system.  In this case the radio!

My '72 TR6 has similar problems.  It has what appears as
as "period proper"  (ie OLD!) Panasonic am/fm unit which
strugles to overcome ambient noise.  At low speeds and
volumes it sounds ok, but doesn't want to go loud.

I'm also using a decent set of 4" speakers (mounted in the
panels below the dash on either side of the center conslole)
which should do fine at moderate levels.

I tried a cheap add-on amp.  Really disappointing!  It was
supposed to handle "speaker level" inputs just fine, but
still had the same "like @#$%" audio quality you describe.
My suspicions are that it just politely amplified the
distortion fed to it by the radio -- and added a bit of its
own on the way through.  A better amp (quality - not just
watts of power) should do better.

Replacement of the radio is probably the best route to better
sound.

Joe Flake
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com