Re: Vitesse - T2000 engine swap

To: Liquid@massey.ac.nz
Subject: Re: Vitesse - T2000 engine swap
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 95 20:10:11 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>I am contemplating temporarily swapping the engine of our '68 2L Mk1
>Vitesse for an engine from a T2000 saloon.  This would allow me to keep the
>Vitesse in everyday use while the original engine is reconditioned.  I
>would be keen to hear from anyone who has undertaken such an exchange to
>find out about any potential difficulties and roughly how long it is likely
>to take.   I believe the Vitesse flywheel has to be fitted to the saloon
>engine.  Is this difficult?  Are the flywheels from any other models (other
>than the GT6 which are rarer than hens' teeth) compatible? I have also read
>somewhere that the block must have tappings to accept the Vitesse back
>plate.  Do any  variants of the saloon engine already have these tappings?
>What about the exhaust manifolds - are they the same? The engine I'm
>considering is from a T2000 Mk1 automatic although Mk2 2000 and
>particularly Mk2 2500 engines are very plentiful in New Zealand.
>
>Thanks in advance,  Pat Edwards.
>

>P.S.  The Vitesse engine is currently pumping out a fair bit of blue smoke,
>but only on the over run going down steep hills.  However, the compression
>readings seem O.K. and the PCV doesn't seem to be blocked.  Are there any
>other causes of this problem?  Could worn carb butterflies have any effect
>i.e. by not sealing properly when the throttle is closed?

Pat,
Flywheel from TR250 should work with one advantage. The gear ring is
removable but the pilot hole and bolt pattern are the same.
 As for the blue smoke, my money is on worn valve seals. If you are going
to go to the trouble of doing seals in the head, you may as well invest
in a complete valve job to avoid problems later.
Tony R.
69 GT6
68 GT6
64 TR4