I met an old friend yesterday

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, bownes@lucas.emi.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: I met an old friend yesterday
From: "R.M. Bownes III" <bownes@emi.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 10:52:19 -0400
Cc: klm@lucas.emi.com
Yesterday I met up with an old and dear friend. We've known each other
for almost ten years. We've been through heaven and hell together, but
due to various circumstances, we've not seen much of each other for
over two years. We were supposed to go away, her, my wife and I for a
quick cross country romp last month, but getting sick put a stop to
that and delayed our reaquaintance.

We met up on the road to our house in the afternoon. She was harder to
deal with than I remembered, and I was more timid than usual. We danced
with each other, getting to know one another again. I'd spent part of
the morning with one of her older, smaller siblings, and the two were
nothing alike. Though I remember when I met said sibling, I was amazed
at the likeness.

We went for a short run, then stopped back at the house to pack up for
a longer trip. Still short by the standard of our old multi-hundred
mile marathons, a fourty mile jaunt to the office and back, maybe
stopping for dinner along the way, was just what we needed. Bright
sunshine on the way out, cool dark sky littered with stars on the
journey back home was just what was needed to reaffirm the warm craving
in my soul.

We learned each other's irritating habits again quickly, but they were
put quickly aside in the exhuberance of being together.

The urge to run away to Vermont for the afternoon was almost
overpowering.  The time we've spent running through the warm, liquid,
golden sun there is imprinted on my memory forever. We will run through
the falling leaves there again much too soon. Perhaps a weekend away,
spent up at The Inn At Long Last, would be a super way to spend a
weekend, celebrating our 10th and my wife and I's 1st anniversary.
Perhaps. Today I will revel in the joy of having my friend back.

Today I woke up and we went to work together. Any day that starts with
a drive in a Triumph is a good one, but one that is bright, warm, and
sunny just cannot be beat. She waits for me outside. I cannot
concentrate.  I wait anxiously for lunchtime.

So, fo those that do not know, or do not remember, my friend, my 1976
TR-6, Lizbeth, went back on the road yesterday. Welcome home.

Those that have never seen her or her siblings, the 72 GT-6 or the 64
Spitfire, can see them all at http://emi.com/~bownes

Enjoy!