Re: dieseling

To: thompson@ridgeback.East.Sun.COM (Keith B. Thompson - Sun)
Subject: Re: dieseling
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph Schneider)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 19:43:20 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>so,
>
>what causes a motor to run on or "diesel"?
>how to stop it?
>could my motor actually spin backwards?
>
>thanks,
>
>kbt

often, there is excessive carbon on head/pistons, may act like "glow plug"
and stay hot and also raises compression ratio (since it reduces effective
combustion chamber size), thereby raising the temperature of the fuel/air
charge enough at the end of compression stroke (remember the ideal gas
equation, Charles' law, etc.) to ignite without spark, just like a real
diesel- a clue is cylinder pressures that are too high (probably *much*
higher than 160-170)- you may have to pull the head, please keep us
informed
joe

Joseph R Schneider, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Surgery, Northwestern University Medical School
100 Burch, Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave, Evanston, IL 60201
voice: (708) 570-2565  fax: (708) 570-2899  e-mail: joe-schneider@nwu.edu

"We don't need no stinkin' UNIX" (attributed to j-norstad@nwu.edu)