Crank Question(s)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Crank Question(s)
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 21:54:13 -0400
Hello all !

The recent threads on thrust washers, rocker oil feeds
and death rattles have caused me to contemplate oil pressure.
As I understand it, this "death rattle" is due to bearing play (wear).
The noise some how goes away when oil pressure is built up.
Here the part I'm having trouble with...
Aren't the crank shaft and con rods in an area of the
motor at ambient atmospheric pressure (blow-by excluded) ?
I always pictured the bottom end as being lubricated by oil
slung around, draining from the top, on it's way to the sump.
How is oil under pressure forced into these bearings / bushings ?
Where does the oil go next, after leaving the oil pump ?
Where is the oil pressure sensor (schematically ) ?

I've got all the books, but never seen an explanation of these
things.  In all my years of LBC wrenching I've never been into
these parts of a motor.

Bob Sykes
(trying to learn just enough to be dangerous)
75, 78, 78 Spitfires