Spitfire rear trunion

To: "J.Daley" <J.Daley@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Subject: Spitfire rear trunion
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 1995 22:26:32 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.NET
++> My only worry is that the blow-torch will have melted the bearing
++> grease.  Any opinions as to whether I can get away with pumping some
++> grease into the nipple, or do I _need_ to strip the hub and repack
++> the bearings ?

        I can't remember for sure (since my spit doesn't have em'
anymore) but doesn't current net wisdom dictate heavy oil in the rear
trunnions as well as the steering rack and front trunnions?  I know
grease would have a pretty had time getting into that little roller
bearing which rides on the axle.  BTW is it trunnion or trunion?

--
William Woodruff        woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor MI