Re: Spit overdrive

To: WATSON@wmich.edu
Subject: Re: Spit overdrive
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 11:54:30 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 1 Aug 1995 WATSON@wmich.edu wrote:

> Now that I am completely hooked on the Triumph stuff, can anyone tell me how
> I can install overdrive in a 1500 Spit without using the gearshift as the
> overdrive shifter?  I would like to use a discrete switch under the dash or
> nearby.

Margaret,
        When I installed the 1500 J-type overdrive in the Spit (back when it
was still a 4-cylinder), I elected to not use the bulky overdrive-type
shifter, and went with the steering column mounted switching lever.  If your
car has the keyswitch by your knee under the dashboard, you can go with this
option.  Basically you need an overdrive switch and bezel from a TR-250,
TR-6, early Spit or GT-6.  It's a lever type switch which is longer and
farther back than the turn signal lever.  To engage the O/D, you simply
flick your pinky while keeping both hands on the wheel.
        I forgot what year your Spit is, so this may not apply if you have a
very late car.

        I hope this applies,

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6