Re: Spitfire trunion seized - SORTED !

To: "J.Daley" <J.Daley@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Spitfire trunion seized - SORTED !
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 11:05:36 BST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.NET, j.daley@boris.umds.ac.uk
Julian

> I ground down the end of the bolt, levered off the vertical link, (I
> hope Kippings have recon ones in stock) and then used a bit of heat to
> soften the nylon bushes.  The remains of the bolt and rusted-on sleve
> then just pushed out.

Well done, but

> My only worry is that the blow-torch will have melted the bearing
> grease.  Any opinions as to whether I can get away with pumping some
> grease into the nipple, or do I _need_ to strip the hub and repack
> the bearings ?

I don't know if that was a good idea because you may have melted the bearing
grease seals, in which case you'll
have to pull the hub and recondition it fully.  You should have been able to
push out the sleeve in the vice
without resorting to heat.

There is no point stripping the hub and just repacking it.  You should replace
the bearings etc while you're about
it - but check the condition of the shaft where the needle roller bearing runs
on it.

However, if the grease seals are intact, then you should be able to just force
in new grease.

Sorry to be a bit negative, but I am good at it.

Phil

> Thanks for all the help (I'm going to ask some more dumb questions
> later...)
We don't mind, do we chaps?