Craked Plastic Rear Windows

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Craked Plastic Rear Windows
From: "R. Kyle Schmidt" <rkschmid@novice.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 17:37:34 -0400
Good Day,

I have a 1976 Triumph Spitfire that I have owned for the last 4 years.
When I bought the car, the top and zip out rear window were in ok to poor
shape. The rear window was beginning to go milky, and the top was intact
but fairly ratty. Over the course of the first winter (inside the
garage), the rear window went from milky to dark brown, then extremely
brittle.

Come spring, I had new plastic sewn into the window areas. This was down
by a fairly reputable convertible top place in town. They did a lousy
job, but at least the windows were clear. Those windows didn't last the
summer before they started going brown. This was in a different city,  a
different garage at nights.

Now the plastic has gone brittle, opaque and has begun to crack again.

I have just purchased a new top (and about 500 dollars more of goodies).
Before I install it, what is the word on this problem. Is it the UV from
the sun? possible, but why would it continue to degrade in the garage in
the winter. Is it ozone production in the garage? Thought about that, but
the electric pump motor in their only runs in the summer (swimming pool).

So, I have one remaining guess. The car tries to kill itself. I notice
from time to time that there is a build up of slime on the glass windows
in the car (primarily the wind screen). Is this emulsions from the vinyl
seats? and if so, is it harming the plastic in my windows.

Thank you for reading this far....

R. Kyle Schmidt
http://calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rkschmid/
Lucas Three Position Switch: Dim, Flicker, Off.