elec system puzzler solved

Subject: elec system puzzler solved
From: "William S. Brown" <BROWN@dnenet.nov.dne.bnl.gov>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 08:13:27 EST
I wrote:

 >Is there a condition that would cause the electrically
 >driven gauges (temp, fuel) to both read high?

Subscribers to this list correctly pointed out not only the
offending component (voltage stabilizer), but also its
location, principle of operation, appearance, electrical
connections, and likely cause of malfunction.

Thanks all. And thanks for not telling me "RTFM." When I looked at
the schematic last night - there it was, right where it had always
been.  I must have assumed that "voltage stabilizer" was part of (or
the same as) the controller internal to the alternator - so when the
alternator checked out OK I was stumped.

The gauges started heading toward correct values as soon as I
grounded the voltage stabilizer (which was literally "hanging around"
next to the steering column)...but they kept right on going and are
now too *low*. Probably just some crud on the contacts (internal or
external or both) of the voltage stabilizer.  The voltage appears to
bounce betw 0 and 5 rather than 14, so I'll order up a fresh part
and see what effect it has.

BTW, the hyperactive oil pressure light was unrelated - different
electrical supply. The new switch, which coincidently arrived last
night, put things right.

Thanks again.

Bill Brown
William S. Brown           (WSBROWN@BNL.GOV)      TEL: 516 282 7230
Human Factors and Performance Analysis Group      FAX: 516 282 4900
Brookhaven National Laboratory, Building 130
Upton, New York  11973-5000 USA