Re: Communications

To: fnsortwell@aol.com (mail-11 daemon)
Subject: Re: Communications
From: Tim Dziechowski <timd@hitu.enet.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 95 17:13:30 EDT
Apparently-to: fnsortwell@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Cc: timd@hitu.enet.dec.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
> Our tours/rallys/drive-abouts are getting bigger and longer in numbers of
> cars.  Some sort of communication device(s) is needed between the leaders and
> the tail-end charlies.  We live and drive in mountainous areas.  Does anyone
> have any experience or recommendations they could pass along?  Thanx, Fred

Offroaders traveling in large or small groups carry CB radios and/or 2 meter
handheld ham transceivers as standard equipment.  Cell phones are useless
in the mountains because of spotty coverage and dead zones.  The CB/ham radio
options are a Good Thing for solo use in case of breakdowns, and you don't
have to pay any cellphone bill$.

For communicating from front of caravan to tailgunner, there's always
oil-leak Morse code...

timd@hitu.enet.dec.com  (Tim Dziechowski - '79 Midget 1500)