Spit 1500 lower extremities - or lack of

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit 1500 lower extremities - or lack of
From: "Jay Pudvin" <pudvin@VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 11:20:44 -0400
Unfortunately I'm not able to keep up with the list as much as I
would like and apologize if this has been discussed recently -
if so, just refer me to the archives and I'll start digging.

Lately my '77 has been 'marking its territory' through the oil pan
gasket and over the past couple of months I've noticed a sound
upon first staring the engine that I assume could be rod bearings
(this is not based on experience - just a guess) <click here while
imagining what that sound may be because I have no idea how
to describe it>

So... I understand that these can be replaced while the pan is off
but I'll assume that the crank will need to be checked and perhaps
turned ($75?).  How ugly would it be to get the crank out or does it
require an engine removal?  What else should I consider doing while
I'm there - or should I ditch the idea of this short-term corrective
maintenance approach and plunk down the time and money for a
more comprehensive rebuild?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - it would also be
nice to know if practicing any particular yoga positions prior to the
procedure would be helpful as the contortionism I went through
on a Toyota truck this weekend was particularly demanding.

Cheers,  -J