Re: Serial numbers?

To: billsohl@planet.net
Subject: Re: Serial numbers?
From: Killjoy@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 12:33:39 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>> > I just bought a 1963 mark 4. I need help in decoding the
>> > serial numbers on the car. Can sombody help with this?
>> > The comm no. is FC139 4 L and the engine number is FC34970ME.
>> > There is also a small plate below the S/N 1423FC.
>>
>> The commission number, and the last number (which is the body number),
>> indicate a fairly early production Spitfire 4. The engine number (BTW,
>> that is probably "HE" for the last two letters, not "ME"), indicates a
>> somewhat later, but still correct engine, perhaps mid- to late 1964
>> Spitfire 4.
>
>In addition to Andy comments, it is worth mentioning that the commission
(stuff deleted)

You should also know that your car is NOT a Mark 4.  Its a Mark 1, and IF you
could trust the body number below the serial number (which you can't...) you
would think that yours is the 1,423rd Spitfire ever made.  Either way, that's
quite an early Spit you have there.  Best of luck keeping it alive.

Michael Turley
Killjoy@aol.com