Q: Front wheel grease cap removal (X-post)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Q: Front wheel grease cap removal (X-post)
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 21:25:48 -0400
Worldly Scions,

Sorry to bomb 2 lists, but I'm working against a deadline & my
question is wider than just Triumphs.

I am about to replace Spitfire trunnions for the first time.  I am
told it is necessary to remove the brake rotor, in order to unscrew
the trunnion from the vertical link.  If this is true, I must first remove
the *%^$& grease cap.  I've removed these caps several times
before, always destroying the cap in the process.
"gently prize out the cap" (Bentley)  *Right* !!!

General LBC question:  Is there a way to remove these caps
*without* destroying them in the process?  I want to re-use them
if possible. (not out of cheapness, but lack of time).  I've tried
(unsuccessfully) threading a screw in the hole in the center.
It just reams out the hole. (what's the hole for anyway?).
I can't seem to wedge anything between the cap & rotor.
Trying to grip those little conical suckers with channel-lock
or vise-grip pliers has always failed.  I'm stumped. I know I
should replace them anyway but any tricks or net wisdom
 would be most appreciated.
I will be away from home (and cars) for a week
after Saturday.  I don't want to start a thread on this trivial a subject,
so E-mail to me direct if you like to keep the bandwidth down.

TIA
Bob Sykes
"You can't beat your brains for entertainment"
75, 78, 78 Spitfires