Re: Stop that buzzing noise

To: Dan Crone <croned@rcinet.com>
Subject: Re: Stop that buzzing noise
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 08:41:30 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Dan,

On Thu, 25 May 1995, Dan Crone wrote:

> Now for the new problem. Under full throttle, a buzz emerges from the
> engine. The noise sounds exactly like the fan blades are striking something
> tinny.  I thought it was the tinfoil air intake tube striking the fan
> blades, but with the tube off the car, it makes the same noise.

My guess it is the fan hitting the radiator.  No wait, let me explain!
There is a piece of sheet metal spot welded to the top of the radiator
that extends back towards the engine.  It looks like it is designed to be
some sort of duct or sheild for the fan.  The clearance between the fan
and this piece is close.  When you tromp on the accelerator, the engine
twists slightly on its axis and the fan hits the sheild.  Worn motor
mounts would make things worse - this could be a sign that you need to
replace mounts.

I just bought a '76 Spit that is doing this.  I found it by blipping the
throttle at the carb and watching the fan hit that sheild.

Hope this helps,
Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu