Re: Tires for TR6...& TR4A

To: Bob.Wilson@dssc.slg.eds.com
Subject: Re: Tires for TR6...& TR4A
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 95 13:34:33 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>1) I own a '74 TR6 with Michelin "Red Lines" on it.  I've got quite a
>bit of tread left on them but looking at the replacement prices through
>The Roadster Factory, I'm interested in storing them and wearing out
>something else.  So given that I have the original wheels on the car
>what size tires should I buy?  One of the guys in the Red River Triumph
>Club runs 195/70R15 Eagle GTs but says the speedometer is off by 3% and
>that 205/70R15s should be the proper tire size.  My friendly neighborhood
>Western Auto Tire Salesman, Aaron, says that I've got 4.5" width rims
>standard on my car and that I shouldn't go beyond a 185 size tire.
>Is he right?

        The TR6 steel wheels are 5.5.  However, the wires might be 4.5" or
maybe 5".  5.5" wheels will fit 205/70-15's - I just put on Yoko A378's
in that size, and they work great.  Size difference is ~1% smaller than
stock - close enough not to matter.  They look good on it too.  If you want
serious performance tires, you could go to Yoko AVS Intermediates (AVSi)
in 205/65-15 or even 215/65-15.  215 is pushing past the "correct" size for
the rims, but only by 1/4".  You might have rubbing with 215's.  I haven't
noticed any with 205's.

>2) Slowly making it's way to me from VA is a '67 TR4A.  I haven't seen
>the tires so I don't know whats already on the car.  But should it need
>new tires, are the tires I buy for the TR6 the same ones I'd buy for the
>TR4A?  Again is it based on the 4.5" rim size?  Are the rim sizes the
>same between the 4A and the 6?

        4A's had narrower rims, at least in steel wheel.
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D
Randell.Jesup@scala.com