Re: Pulling Tranny's

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pulling Tranny's
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 07:11:16 -0400
Hi Triumph Types,

On April 16th David Clark writes:

----------------------------snip-----------------------------------
3. after a week the clutch felt like it was going out, yanked it off
again, That is how I learned the Hard way about the infamous "floating
Crank" (for the hell of it I did replace the thrust washer in hopes of
avoiding the inevetable but much to my shagrin It just spit it back
out.  I did  drive it for another 5ooo mile before replacing the
engine, rane great except for being a bit 'pokey')
-----------------------------snip-----------------------------------

I haven't learned about this infamous "floating crank".  I broke out my
Bentley Book and read about crank-shaft end float setting and adjustment,
did a "thumbnail" type check on my car, but what's the real deal here?
Should I get a dial guage and check it?  Is this something that wears out
before the rest of the bottom end? 50Kmiles? 100k?
I've read it's that it's bad new when they"completely go".
Are they hard to replace? , with the engine "in situ"?
 I'm curious.

I got my TSSC "boot tidy's" the other day.  These are sort of vinyl covered,
particle board, side trim panels for a Spit boot.  *Very Nice* , they've got
little pockets in them as well.  At bit pricey though at around 80 Quid inc.
VAT.
Started to install them, then -that existing panel needs paint -better clean
up
that boot mat - clean crud out of boot - re-route fuel guage wire - fix boot
light.
I'm tired & still not done putting them in........you know how it is.

Bob Sykes
75, 78, 78 Spitfires

BTW Bob is now S1500@aol.com
Strativary is phasing out