Wheel studs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wheel studs
From: widget@pixi.com (Paul Swengler)
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 14:52:00 -0400
to TR4guyinVA@aol.com

The long and short of it is:

       The long:
                If you insist upon using the long studs on the wire wheel
hubs (even if you use the short nuts) you will not be able to get the wheels
to seat completely on the hubs and are likely to strip the hub and/or wheel
splines or worse both. If that happens and you don't loose your wheels going
atround a turn, and you are fortunate to get the car to stop without killing
yourself and all your passengers by coasting to a stop rather than using a
tree, you get to buy all new wheels, splines and studs and do it all over again.

        The short:
                Don't screw around, either cut or swap out the studs and use
the right nuts! It's your life. You are warned!

Footnote. The PO of my 59 TR3 put washers behind the hubs. I didn't know
this and drove the car for a year before I pulled them to go back to
Rostyles. Hmmmmmm....

Aloha! - Do it right the first time - Paul