Dodgy Buy?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dodgy Buy?
From: BLAND J-P <94353875@mmu.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 16:54:57 GMT
I am currently looking to buy a Spitfire MkIII.
I went to see one at the weekend which had pretty
nice body work and a rust free chassis.
The engine, however, isn't very free revving and
the tacho seems to be reading falsely
 (4,500rpm @ 50mph in 4 th gear, no overdrive fitted).
My friend who drove it, ( a Mk III owner) said this could
 indicate a serious problem or just the need for a good tune.
The car is for sale at stlg2,500 with a new canvas soft top,
good hard top,  good new car cover, + Kenwood stereo.
I'm unsure as to how bad the engine could potentially be
and would appreciate any advice.
If the engine is shot, how easy/much would it be to get a
replacement 1.3 engine, or would I have to get a 1.5 and
would this drastically reduce the value of the car?
I also don't know when I will next find  a nice condition
(body work , chassis) example for quite a while.
Here's hoping,
John-Paul Bland