Re[2]: Thanks all(again).

To: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk, William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Subject: Re[2]: Thanks all(again).
From: "jpratchi" <jpratchi@isdlink1.ess.harris.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 95 10:02:45 est
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
++> I've re-bled the Hydraulics, rebuilt the master cylinder, everything
++> I know, but I just can't get the bloody slave to push the release
++> bearing far enough onto the pressure plate to release the clutch.
++> In desparation I even removed

>I haven't been following this discussion, so someone else might
>have already mentioned this.  Did you check to see if the pin that the
>throwout bearing fork pivots on is still there?  Its just a press fit
>and it fallls out quite often.
>The permanent fix is to replace the pin with a long bolt and put a nut
>on the end.

   William has an excellent point, I had the rod fallout of the clutch
actuator on my '80 Spit and another result was breaking the casting at
the rear of the bell housing that "guides" the throwout bearing when you
depress the clutch.  (although easy to repair, these babies cost ~
$55.00 US)
   The pin is actually held in place with a currogated spring inside an
oversize hole.  The pin rides in two bushings which you may also want to
renew.  The use of a bolt *is* a good solution.  That is what I did, and
it works very well.
   Also make sure the pivoting rod on the opposite end of the clutch
actuator is sticking through the hole in the bell housing so the slave
cylinder can engage it.  This pivoting rod has a pin that can also
"fall" out.  Ensure it is "peened" into position before you re assemble
the whole mess!

   regards,   John Pratchios