Re: RE: TR-6 conversion

To: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE: TR-6 conversion
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 21:45:13 -0400
>Consider the engine from a 1970s-era Datsun 280-Z.  It's an inline
>six of virtually the same dimensions, and was in fact something of
?a higher-displacement version  of the GT6 engine, which is a good
>working description of what a TR6 engine is.
>From my little technical rebuke/correction department...>The Z motor had NO
relationship to anything triumph ever did... although after seeing it they
may have wished...The Z car motor owes it't design heritage to a full fledged
rip-off of the Mercedes 6cyl as found in the 280SL series et al...Mercedes
should have sued!
The original GT6 motor owed  it's parantage to the Truimph Vangaurd series,
the MKll (GT6+) received a much needed improvement in the gift of a destroked
version of the 2.5 liter TR6 motor, which was a new, fresh, thin-wall casting
design.
As far as car dynamics are concerned, you could call the Z a bigger GT6 or a
smaller Jag E type, but it handled much better than the GT6 and was of course
*just a tad* more reliable than either one.
Spoken as one who logged 300k miles on early Z cars while owning MGBs
simultaniously, I think the only thing that kept the early Z from being a
better car was the lack of a removable top and the absence of leaks!
Still prefer the LBCs, but sometimes miss the Z...
Johnmowog