Re: catalytic converter in tr7

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: catalytic converter in tr7
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph Schneider)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 14:24:22 -0500

>It's federal law, tamper with an emission system or touch a car that
>doesn't meet 100% of all requirements and you can serve time.
>
>Beginning in 1976, all US cars I'm aware of had catcons for the first time,
>and unleaded fuel was the law of the land in the US. It was driven by a new
>stage of the Clean Air Act, so emissions had to be met in all vehicles sold
>and the only known way was catcons. Up to 1975, they made do by crippling
>the carburetors to destroy performance, drivability _and_ fuel economy.
>Things then ran much better but got more expensive. There were probably a
>few exceptions that managed to forestall the inevitable with other means,
>but I don't know of any.

point of info, my 1979 Accord was leaded fuel- only Honda could build an
engine clean enugh without catcon
i would be happy to comply, in fact in Illinois (is it just Cook and collar
counties?) we need tailpipe test every 2yrs- does any one know what happens
with Webers (single 2-bbl is what i'd consider), headers, and mildly
improved camshaft in a spit 1500? if i buy/rstore, i want to license it,
i'd appreciate knowing ahead of time
joe

Joseph R Schneider, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Surgery, Northwestern University Medical School
100 Burch, Evanston Hospital
2650 Ridge Ave, Evanston, IL 60201
voice: (708) 570-2565  fax: (708) 570-2899  e-mail: joe-schneider@nwu.edu