[Tigers] fire extinguishers

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] fire extinguishers
From: Eric Gibeaut via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 15:07:34 -0400

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: new Halon replacement extinguishers (Wally Menke)

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 11:19:33 +1000
From: "Wally Menke" <walmenke@bigpond.net.au>
To: "'James Armstrong'" <rollright@aol.com>,    <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] new Halon replacement extinguishers

Hi Jim

In a previous life in the mid to late 70s 8-) I used to be involved in the
design of fire extinguishers. Halon or BCF (Bromo di Chloro Floromethane
from memory) was used extensively for extinguishers and also fixed systems
in computer rooms where CO2 was used. These were the days when even a small
computers were the size of a phone box. They were great as they left no
residual after use, whereas a powder type leaves a lot of the powder which
is corrosive.

However, it was band ages ago when they found that it eats ozone and
depletes the ozone layer! Which was a good move especially for us living in
the southern hemisphere which is most effected.

So in short, it?s unlikely that you will find any Halon fire extinguisher on
the market now.

Cheers

Wally Menke

Melbourne, Australia